Ohio State’s Department of Agricultural Communication, Education, and Leadership (ACEL) has eight alumni as finalists for the Nationwide Golden Owl Award. This award helps shed light on the importance of agricultural education and the tremendous contributions of agricultural educators.
In the first year of the award, 10 teachers from Ohio and seven teachers from Iowa were selected as honorees, each receiving a $500 prize and entrance into the final selection stage. Students, faculty and community members nominated the teachers.
Eight of Ohio’s 10 honorees have at least one degree in agricultural education from The Ohio State University. They are:
- Stephanie Conway ’04, agricultural educator at Bowling Green High School
- Randy Eisenhauer ’92, agricultural educator at Shelby High School
- Shelby Faulkner ’16, agricultural educator at Ridgemont High School
- Tom Holton ’82, ’86 MS, agricultural educator at East Knox Junior-Senior High School
- Holly Jennings ’01, agricultural educator at Felicity-Franklin High School
- John Poulson ’81, ‘87 MS, agricultural educator at Pettisville High School
- Dave Stiles ’78, ’83 MS, agricultural educator at Indian Valley High School
- Katrina Swinehart ’11, ’13 MS, assistant professor at Central State University
“As a department, we’re very excited for eight of our alumni who were recognized as outstanding agricultural educators in classrooms around Ohio,” said Dr. Tracy Kitchel, professor and chair of ACEL. “Each of these individuals have excelled as teachers of agriculture, but also has mentors to their students throughout the years. They are all deserving of this recognition.”
The grand prize winner, who will receive a $3,000 prize, will be announced in April.
The agriscience education major at Ohio State prepares students to teach agricultural science in secondary high schools.Our program provides students with a rigorous series of courses in technical agriculture, education psychology, instructional methods and youth development. To learn more about the agriscience education major, visit acel.osu.edu or call 614-247-6358.